Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Movie Review: The Lake House

I considered not reviewing this, so you wouldn't know I'd watched this unpopular chick-flick, but the Husband brought it home for free, so I gave it a whirl. I expected to hate it, but didn't totally hate it.

A woman living in a lake house in 2006 begins corresponding with a man living in the same house in 2004 via a magic mailbox. Yup. That's the basic plot. They go through the basic "prove you're not making this up" stuff then become pen pals and fall in love. It's kind of cute, somewhat predictable and with a schmaltzy ending that if you think about it for more than a few seconds, you'll immediately realize makes no sense.

Sandra Bullock and Keanu Reeves both seem comfortable almost to the point of boredom in roles so flat that I have already forgotten their names. They both have the predictable previous heartbreak/tragedy in their lives, etc.

I don't recommend this one, unless your only other option is Titanic, which is both longer and dumber . . .

1 out of 5 stars.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 2:37 PM, Blogger Jami said...

We heard a woman the other day saying "it didn't make any sense at all, they were in two totally different years - how can you write to someone in a different time?" :)

 
At 10:35 PM, Blogger Liz said...

I kind of liked it, too, but I also like time travel, and i adore Keanu. You could see his latest motorcycle scar in the movie. Not that I keep track or anything.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home