Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Book Review: The War Against Miss Winter

Paperback Writer here.

So, I promised my friend, Kathryn Miller Haines that I would review her book, The War Against Miss Winter. Unfortunately, during the time her book came out I was just finishing up the Dark Tower series by Stephen King and then there was this whole Harry Potter thing going on (anyone else know about it?) and before I knew it, two months had gone by and still no review from me regarding her book.

Well, let me try to rectify that situation now, shall we?

I picked up the book one night, intending to read the first chapter before I went to bed. The next thing I knew it was two hours later and I had read five chapters. The plot, characters and dialogue pulled me in.

*sigh*

Wait, PW, what the heck is it all about?

Well, it's about Rosie Winter, an actress in World War II New York City, trying to make ends meet. Her boyfriend has just left for the Navy and she hasn't heard from him in six months. She hasn't landed a job in a while and the apartment she's staying in is about to kick her out.

And then her boss - she works in a detective agency as his secretary - winds up dead.

I'm no authority figure regarding 40's culture in NYC, but it seems pretty authentic to me and did I mention that the dialogue crackled?

Yeah, it did.

And besides this hack writer, she's recieved some pretty high praise from other sources...more reputable than I am. ;)

Go on. Go read her book. It would make her happy and in turn would make me happy.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 6:59 PM, Blogger Jami said...

Sounds good, I requested it from the library!

 
At 9:53 PM, Blogger Jami said...

I did read it, and it is as good as advertised. I loved it and thought the dialogue was just plain fun.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home