Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Album Review: Trouble (Ray LaMontagne)

Paperback Writer here.

I've discussed my bright, shining love for Ray LaMontagne on my blog, but I haven't actually reviewed his album. Well, now I will.

Trouble is Ray's debut album. It was actually released in 2004, but is only now gaining the attention that it truly deserves. He's not commercially played and it would seem silly for conventional radio to play him. He's not that sort of singer/songwriter. But what he really is, is a bluesy, folksy singer with a wonderful voice (all gritty, sandpapery and full of emotion) and a tremendous gift for song writing.

Together the effect is absolutely devestating. As one reviewer said (and unfortunately, I have no idea where I got this from) his voice will pin you to the wall. It's raw, it's emotional and packs a punch that Evander Holyfield would be proud of.

And if you're not already on the floor crying your eyes out from his voice alone, then you're probably done for when you actually sit down and listen to his lyrics. It's just that good. Well, at least to this little humble review it is.

Just from "Trouble" alone I hooked Loki and his best friend into Ray fans. And they aren't very prone to things like that anyway.

Coincidentally, next Tuesday, August 29 is the release date for Ray's new album "Till the Sun Turns Black."

Isn't it obvious what rating I'm going to give this album?

Five stars out of five.

Here's what Wikipedia says about him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home