Saturday, August 12, 2006

Movie Review: Barnyard

Based on just the trailer with the cows "boy tipping", I was looking forward to see this. Post Gazette columnist Samantha Bennett's concern over udders on males not withstanding, it looked like a funny, silly movie, always good for the Drive In, which is where I saw it. (Come on, Samantha, it's an animated movie with cows that play guitar, the udders are the least of the unreality . ..)

The basic story is about Otis, the son of head cow Ben, as he comes of age and takes his rightful place guarding the farm. Otis is a party animal, and even though he's a good guy, he's not interested in growing up.

There are plenty of gags in this, including cows stealing cars, a contortionist mouse and an unidentifiable critter who loves to dance. I was more surprised by the scariness and even some death in this movie. I'd certainly recommend seeing this before taking children under 8 or sensitive children a little older.

The movie wasn't hilarious, but had funny moments. It was predictable, but still enjoyable, and it features a rather impressive voice cast: Kevin James, Courteney Cox, Sam Elliot, Danny Glover, Wanda Sykes, Andie MacDowell and the always fantastic Maurice LaMarche (you geeks know who I mean). I wasn't disappointed, but I wasn't over-impressed, either.

I don't plan on buying this as soon as it's out, but I might get it in a few years when it's on the 3 for $15 shelf.

Three out of Five Stars

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home