Saturday, August 25, 2007

Book Review: I Love You, Beth Cooper

I Love You, Beth Cooper had me from "Hello", or at least from the title. Written by Larry Doyle (a Simpsons writer, as you know if you're a big geek like me), this book basically covers the graduation night of another big geek, the valedictorian-debate-club geek who makes the titular proclamation in his commencement speech. Beth Cooper, the object of his affection is, of course, a popular cheerleader type. The remark kicks of a series of events which grows ever more hilarious and outrageous. I laughed out loud several times while reading this and actually read it again immediately after finishing it.

Some reviews I've read suggest that the book is "too unrealistic" and that the characters make seemingly inexplicable choices. My response to the latter is that the characters are teenagers and if you can always predict what a teen will do, you are one up on me. As to the former complaint, was "Ferris Bueller" realistic? 16 Candles? Weird Science?? Of course not, but these coming of age movies make us laugh because they are a combination of our high school memories mixed with our adolescent fantasies. If you liked those movies, I'd bet you'll enjoy this book.

5 out of 5 stars

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home