Sunday, August 12, 2007

Movie Review: The Simpsons

Please understand, this review being written by me - Jami, comes from someone who had loved the Simpsons since they aired as shorts during the Tracey Ullman Show. I know Millhouse's parent's first names. I know what the dowry agreement for Manjula and Apu's betrothal was. I know the episode titles. I am a Simpsons Geek and have no shame.

I loved the movie. I went in both excited and a little apprehensive, since other eagerly anticipated movies have let me down (I'm talking to you, Phantom Menace).

THE GOOD:
The movie plays like a lengthened Simpsons episode, with slightly worse language and brief full-frontal male nudity. That is not a joke. The reason the Simpsons has remained one of the funniest shows on TV is the perfect mix of low-brow, slapstick silliness and the more obscure or literary humor, and the movie echos that well.

THE BAD:
Even though all the minor players are visible and may have a line or two, most don't say a think and none are really a big part of the story.

I don't want to give away anything, so my basic point is this - however you feel about the Simpsons on your TV, I'd bet that's how you'll feel about the movie.

Thank you, Come Again!

5 stars out of 5

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 9:34 AM, Blogger Liz said...

I love the Simpsons, love them,but I wasn't in love with this movie. I liked it, sure, but you're right. It was like one long TV show and I guess I was hoping for more. Hoping for hysterical Clerks 2-like laughter.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home