Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Book Review: Twilight

Read this fantastic book by Stephenie Meyer right now. I am told that the target audience, or biggest audience or something like that is young adult women, but I really enjoyed this, start to finish. It's the first book in a trilogy, which is good for fast readers like me who tend to out-read authors we like.

But about the book - Isabella, or Bella, as she prefers to be called, is the new girl in her high school in a small town in Washington. Moving to the colder climate from Arizona to live with a father she is estranged from in a town where everyone has known everyone else from birth, Bella is dreading the whole scene. Her first day of school she makes a few new friends, but also becomes fascinated with a boy, Edward, another "outsider" who only seems to talk to his own family and who seems to take an instant, intense dislike of her.

Edward and his family have a dark secret, which I won't give away, even though it's the first sentence on the back of the book. Forgot the legends you know about fantastical creatures, as you learn about Edward and his strange, close-knit family. By the time Bella uncovers his entire secret, she has fallen too much in love with him to leave him over it.

I think the best part of this novel, to me, was that every time I knew what was going to happen, I was wrong. It's a good story, and not at all scary, though it might seem to be going down the "horror story" path.

How good is this series? After reading the first one, I ordered the second one from the library, and when I found out it had 15 holds ahead of me, I checked the third - I'm 118th on the list for that one.

I'd give this book 5 out of 5 stars, for both the book itself and the potential for it being a great epic.

UPDATE: I just finished the other two books and I give the entire triology 5 out of 5.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home