Thursday, October 18, 2007

The Heartbreak Kid

Here's my warning; if you hate Ben Stiller, you will hate this movie. Do not go. Do not even bother to read this review.

Still with me? Right, then.

Ben Stiller is a 40 year old bachelor who's never been able to pull the trigger on any of his romances, including a 5 year engagement. On his way home from his ex-fiance's wedding, he meets a beautiful younger woman. She later tracks him down at the store he owns and their romance blossoms, in a funny way. She's going to be moved to Rotterdam for work because she's single, and after debate he decides they should get married. So they do. And it all goes downhill from there.

Jerry Stiller, Ben's real-life dad, plays his father in the movie , and Rob Corddry plays his best friend. They are both hilarious. The movie is filled with laugh-out-loud scenes, and quieter scenes that also make you laugh uproariously. It's really very, very funny. And of course uncomfortable, because Stiller is known for his movies where the guy acts like a complete idiot, complicating a difficult situation even more so.

There is a love interest, of course, and in the beginning I was rooting for Stiller's boy-man Eddie. But by the end, I just wanted to smack him, although I doubt that would do any good, as he gets his share of beatings and they deter him none.

There was a bit of press about the rating of this movie, and the much-heralded return of the adult comedy. I have to say the film earned it's R rating, and it's most definitely a movie for grown-ups. I wouldn't take even an older teenager to this movie. And if you're looking for a moral, you won't find it here.

In short, a hilarious yet uncomfortable movie with no neat, tidy ending.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 9:51 PM, Blogger Jami said...

Interesting. Originally I thought it sounded good, but then it got such horrid reviews I was put off. I might check it out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home