Sunday, December 16, 2007

Movie Review: I am Legend

Paperback Writer here.

Today, Loki and I went to see I am Legend with Jami's favorite actor, Will Smith, based on the original book by Richard Matheson. I enjoyed the movie (even though I spent 2/3 of it watching it through my fingers) and it sticks to the basic plot of the original novel.

Now, now, now. If you read the book, you know that this isn't entirely true, okay? The book was written in the 50's, so naturally, the movie has been updated, okay?

A virus has been created that supposedly cures a tragic disease...but what happens is that these people who have been saved...begin to mutate. If you've seen the trailers then you know what these creatures resemble. If not, then...use your imagination.

Anyway, which is where we pick up with Robert Neville (Smith), a military medical doctor trying to find a cure. He spends most of the movie with his trusty dog, Sam. And of course, things start to go wrong. Very, very wrong. The cuts between the year 2009, the year where this miracle drug has been discovered to Neville's current year, 2012. The world is a wasteland with abandoned cars, crops growing in Central Park and lions roaming Times Square.

Last 1/3 of the movie though, is where it deviates from the book. I won't go into too much detail, it sort of feels...forced. It's a good movie, but I would've liked to see how people began their transformation.

I'll give it a three out of four stars.

PS - Animals die...and I didn't like it. It made me very sad. Just saying.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 5:43 PM, Blogger Jami said...

Mmm, Will Smith . . . I'm sorry, did you say something after that . . . .

We plan to see this, for the story, not just Will. Glad to hear you liked it.

 
At 9:34 PM, Blogger Paperback Writer said...

Did you like it?

 
At 10:40 PM, Blogger Jami said...

We STILL haven't gotten to see it. YOu know, jobs, kids, family, blah blah blah.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home