Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Book Review: You Suck, A Love Story

I picked up this book by Christopher Moore solely based on the title. You have to check that out. I skimmed the back cover (I've been suspicious of them since one gave away a major plot twist), and did my favorite new author test, read the first page. The book starts with "You bitch, you killed me! You suck!" which is the totally understandable reaction of Tommy, a 19-year-old dorky small town guy who after moving to San Fransisco and meeting and falling for a vampire girl awakes to find that she's turned him into one of the undead as well. By the end of the first page, I was hooked.

I chuckled all through this clever, entertaining not-at-all scary novel about these two inexperienced vampires as they attempt both the mundane (apartment hunting, keeping in touch with parents) and the supernatural (finding food sources, learning the limits of their powers, etc.) Along the way, they acquire a naive 16-year-old Goth girl "minion" adding her point of view to the narrative, and interact with a blue hooker, a homeless man with a huge cat, Tommy's former friends who are now vampire hunters and two homicide cops and more.

The story unfolds so beautifully that I don't want to give anything away, but I do want to mention that this book has possibly the best ending to any vampire book ever.

4 1/2 stars of out 5, just because I wish it had been a little longer, even though it didn't need to be.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home