Thursday, June 19, 2008

Movie Review: The Incredible Hulk

I was very resist to see this movie for no real reason other than I just didn't feel like seeing the movie. Loki and I had come from a two movie weekend with one almost not living up to the hype and the other no bringing to fruition the creepiness of the director's previous movies.

I did not see Ang Lee's version of the Hulk. Nor did I really want to. Being a Marvel girl myself (as opposed to say a DC girl) I wasn't thrilled with them making the Hulk and I'm not sure why. Edward Norton? Really?

Well, yes. Edward Norton. Good choice. Tim Roth as the Abomination? Another excellent choice. Liv Tyler? So so. She didn't take away from it, but didn't add (at least for me) anything. I was leery of CGI effects that it would take to make the Hulk and the Abomination, but it worked.

Keep in mind, The Hulk does not have the playful nature that Iron Man does. It's a lot more serious...which isn't saying that it's not fun. Just keep it in mind. For fan boys (and girls) there are lots of in-jokes to chuckle at. Oh, and Stan Lee has a bigger cameo in it! At least ten seconds! I don't know why I keep using exclamation points!

I'm not as familiar with the mythology of the Hulk, so I don't know who the future villain (The Leader) is. Though Loki did fill me in after the movie. He also did mention that the Rouges Gallery isn't as impressive as say Spider-Man's or the X-Men's Rouges Gallery.

The story? Oh, yes. The story.

Bruce Banner (the Hulk when not in Hulk form) is trying to find a cure to the gamma radiation. General Ross is bent on finding him and bringing him back to the US. In the process he recruits Emil Blonsky, a Russian born, England raised soldier. He sees the Hulk and the power that he has and become obsessed with having that same power. Lots of action, lots of angst (Bruce versus himself, father versus daughter, Hulk versus the world), lots of potential to make a franchise.

I give a four out of five.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home