Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Book Review: Black Ships

Paperback Writer here...again. :) Yes, I'm just ripping through many books. But it's in my nature okay? Okay.

So, I belong to this website called Library Thing where I can list all the books I have in my library...kind of like Good Reads. (I'm Ceecee on one and Paperback Writer on the other. If you feel like joining me, let me know.

Anyway, one of the very cool features of Library Thing is the opportunity to get advanced copies of books. And finally, finally, I got my hands on a book. I don't remember requesting this book, but what the hey. A free book is a free book. And I'm keeping my end of the bargain up by actually reviewing it.

So, on to the book. The book is Black Ships by Jo Graham. It's a take on the Aeneid told from the viewpoints of an oracle named Gull. She is the daughter of a slave taken from Troy who can see - accurately - the future. One day, she sees nine black ships and knows that she will joining them and thus altering her life forever. It is their journey from Greece to Italy with detours in Egypt.

I throughly enjoyed this book and I hope it does well. I actually hope that Jo Graham will write more books like this...but then again, this is coming from the self-professed mythology junkie. :)

Five out of five stars.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 5:26 PM, Blogger missysue said...

I love your site! I'm actually looking to give away some free blog designs to book and author-related blogs to put in my design portfolio. If you're interested, visit my blog or you can contact me at roarkdesignstudio at yahoo dot com. Thank you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home