Sunday, January 20, 2008

Movie Review: Cloverfield

Paperback Writer here.

Loki and I went to see Cloverfield this weekend. It took me this long to try and put down a review...

And I think it might be difficult for me to write a proper review without giving away some of the details.

But I'll try.

First, don't go in with any expectations. You'll probably have a better time that way.

Second, if you get motion sickness this movie is not for you. Seriously.

Third, this isn't a Hollywood movie. Meaning?

Well...

(Don't say I didn't warn you)

It doesn't have an "ending" per se. Oh, it ends all right. Abruptly. And not prettily for anyone. The ending is not satisfying at all. And yes, there were a couple of boos from the audience (which was sold out, by the way), but there was still an even greater number that was blown away by it. Loki included. He said that he hasn't been that scared by a movie in a long time. In fact, after we got home, the both of us didn't get to bed until very early the next morning. Loki was just hopped up on adrenaline and I was up filling in all the details that weren't explained in the movie.

Now, keep in mind that despite the abrupt ending and the very shaky camera work (it's all filmed from the viewpoint of one camera...a hand held camera) that this isn't really a movie about monsters (though it is really terrifying when you see the monsters) it's more a movie about how people react in survival situations. Loki tells me that it is much like how Night of the Living Dead is about survival against zombies.

I can see what he means.

He tells me that there are a lot of mixed opinions regarding this movie: how it is an allegory about 9-11; that it plays on their fears about it; that it's not a movie for people over 30. I don't know. I guess it could be an allegory about 9-11. But I didn't see it that way. Would I go back and see it? No. But that doesn't mean that I didn't dislike the movie.

*sigh*

I guess I'm about as mixed up as all those other reviews floating around on Rotten Tomatoes.

:)

Anyway, things to remember when going in: hand held camera work, people that you don't know who star in a movie, very stressful and the most important thing to remember? Have no expectations. Keep an open mind.

And that's all I'm going to say about it.

Eight out of ten stars.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home